Thanks for choosing to #ReadThisFirst... it's Monday, and the first FULL week of 2019, so, let's put on our big kid underpants and dive into the day - and week - like the champs we are.
First off, to the fans of the Chicago Bears... I feel you this morning. That pain. That agony. That... DINK... and then, the SECOND DINK... it's so real. The pain. Agony. So real. I hope you know how the world... feels for you this morning. The pain. We are sorry... so sorry.
So today... is WEIGH-IN DAY and it's also I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE DAY... and it's time again for the COPY-AND-PASTE ROUNDUP...
WILD CARD WEEKEND... let's wrap that up first off...
The NFL's Wild Card weekend featured three close games and one blowout, as the Eagles, Chargers and Cowboys managed win by narrow margins, while the Colts dominated their opponents.
In Saturday's game, Dallas edged out the Seattle Seahawks, 24-22, while Indianapolis crushed the Houston Texans, 21-7.
On Sunday, the Los Angeles Chargers held on to beat the Baltimore Ravens, 23-17, while the Eagles barely beat the Chicago Bears, 16-15, thanks to a missed field goal in the final seconds.
Next week we move onto the Divisional Playoffs with the Colts taking on the Chiefs in Kansas City, and the Cowboys taking on the Rams in Los Angeles on Saturday.
On Sunday, the Chargers face the Patriots in Foxborough, Massachusetts, and the Eagles meet the Saints in New Orleans. (NFL.com)
EVERYONE is talking about the LIFETIME show Surviving R. Kelly...
Sources say he disputes the allegations made against him in the series, thinks the producers and participants have a “vendetta” against him and have hated him throughout his career. He denies knowing about half of the talking heads who made accusations against him on camera. He also alleges that there were people who wanted to tell his side of the story that weren’t given a chance to say their piece.
He plans to sue the network and producers, apparently for defamation. (TMZ)
Januhairy … There’s Dry January, Veaganuary … and now Januhairy. A woman in England has launched a campaign that encourages women to grow out their body hair for the month of January. 21-year-old Laura Jackson, a drama student at Exeter University, said she came up with the idea after growing out her own hair for a performance.
"Though I felt liberated and more confident in myself, some people around me didn't understand or agree with why I didn't shave," she said. "I realized that there is still so much more for us to do to be able to accept one another fully and truly."
Women from all over the world are taking part in the Januhairy campaign – with money being raised for Body Gossip, a charity that educates young people about body image. (BBC)
Is “screen dipping” causing problems in your relationship? It’s an all-too-familiar scenario … You and your significant other decide to snuggle on the couch and watch a movie together. But then you notice that he or she keeps looking at their phone. That’s “screen dipping” – or the act of “dipping out” of one screen and onto another screen – like your phone. It’s basically the screen version of “phubbing” or snubbing someone in favor of your phone.
So why is “screen dipping” bad for your relationship? Because, just like phubbing, screen dipping basically says you’re choosing your phone over the person you’re with. Yes, it’s different from looking at your phone when you’re having dinner or a conversation with someone, but when you’re watching a show or movie with someone, you’re supposed to be doing this together. And according to a study, choosing your phone over your partner leads to more fights and less satisfaction with your relationship. (Pure Wow)
Teachers say I quit … New government data shows that teachers and other public education employees are quitting their jobs at the highest rates on record. Low pay, lousy working conditions and a good job market are seeing teachers decide to take their skills elsewhere. (Market Watch)
Now your morning coffee can taste like marshmallows … Coffee creamer brand, International Delight, has rolled out a Peeps flavored coffee creamer. Yep, now your coffee can taste like Peeps. Yum? (Delish)
IT’S BETTER TO OVER-PROMISE AND UNDER-DELIVER AT WORK
Psychologists have discovered that the best strategy for career success is to over-promise and under-deliver.
This, of course, flies in the face of the idea of under-promising and over-delivering.
It might feel better to over-achieve, but research suggests that you’ll get farther in your career, faster, if you raise great expectations and make yourself seem more competent -- even if you can’t deliver. (MarketWatch)
THE WORST FANTASY FOOTBALL LOSER PUNISHMENTS
For many, the first weekend of the NFL playoffs was bittersweet. It was great to see deserving teams battling in hopes of getting to the Super Bowl. But… It was also a reminder that the 2018 Fantasy Football season is definitely over.
While winning your league -- or leagues -- is great, it’s not what’s most important. Everybody knows that priority number one is to NOT finish last because finishing last can lead to some seriously embarrassing punishments.
Here’s a rundown of some of the worst fantasy football punishments this season …
- The Rollerblade Shame: This loser had to rollerblade 15 miles into New York City wearing a Superman costume and holding a briefcase.
- The World Is Flat: After the season, the guy at the bottom of the standings of this league had to find people to sign his petition that the world is flat.
- Stand Up: Finishing last is embarrassing. Having to perform at a stand-up comedy show is worse.
- Test vs. Tailgate: A league filled with guys in their 30s punishes the loser by making him take a college entrance exam -- while the rest of the league tailgates in the parking lot. (BroBible)
BUSCH GARDENS OFFERING TWO FREE BEERS TO EVERY CUSTOMER THIS YEAR
If you were on the fence about visiting a theme park this year, here’s some news that might inspire you to actually go…
For all of 2019, every customer over the age of 21 will receive two free beers every time they visit the Busch Gardens theme park in Florida.
The promotion kicks off the “Year of Beer” as part of the park’s 60th anniversary celebration. (Whiskey Riff)
Meghan Markle spends some serious BANK on her wardrobe...
Meghan Markle earned the title as one of 2018’s “Best Dressed” – at a steep price.
Accounting by the Royal Family revealed that Meghan, in her first year as Duchess, is projected to spend on her wardrobe nearly $1 million.
On average, Meghan’s wardrobe costs more than $2,500 per day. Her clothing allowance is taken directly from taxes on the British commoners.
She spent much, much more on her wedding day, naturally. Her Givenchy wedding gown cost at least a quarter-million dollars. (Daily Mail)
Taylor Swift sneaked into the Golden Globes rather than steal the limelight from her boyfriend, Joe Alwyn. He walked the red carpet alone.
Taylor presented two awards with People magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive, Idris Elba. This month, those two begin filming the live-action adaptation of the Broadway musical Cats. The movie will arrive this year around Christmas.
Taylor announced the winner of Best Original Song, which went to the writers of A Star Is Born hit “Shallow,” including Lady Gaga. They shared an intimate moment as Taylor leaned in to hug and congratulate Gaga.
An attendee in the room said, (quote) “While Taylor walked off the stage, she looked over her shoulder and gave a sassy smile at Joe Alwyn.” (Us Weekly)
Bohemian Rhapsody, the movie detailing the events of FREDDIE MERCURY of QUEEN'S life as they prepared to play this really big show back in the day was the night's big winner...
Today and tonight... here's what you'll watch on TV...
- Jimmy Fallon has James Spader (The Blacklist), Lindsay Lohan (Lindsay Lohan's Beach Club), music by Noname f/ Smino & Saba
- Stephen Colbert has actor Ethan Hawke, comedian Jon Glaser, music by Taylor Bennett
- Jimmy Kimmel has actress Courteney Cox, Brian Tyree Henry (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse), music by Mt. Joy
- James Corden has director Adam McKay (Vice), actor John David Washington, music by Alec Benjamin
- Seth Meyers has Chris Hayes (All in With Chris Hayes), music by Donna Missal, guest drummer Charlie Hall
- Ellen DeGeneres has comedian Kevin Hart
- Live With Kelly and Ryan has Josh Hutcherson (Future Man), the newly-crowned Miss Universe, dietitian Tamara Duker Freuman
- Watch What Happens: Live has Lisa Vanderpump (Vanderpump Rules)
- The View has activist Malala Yousafzai
- The Talk has Keanu Reeves (Replicas), Kevin Frazier (Entertainment Tonight)
- The Bachelor (season premiere) Colton discusses the backlash against him; 30 women arrive, hoping to make a good impression. (ABC)
- The Big Bang Theory (repeat) When Amy's parents and Sheldon's family arrive, everybody is focused on making sure the wedding arrangements go according to plan -- everyone except the bride and groom. (CBS)
- Happy Together When Cooper gives Jake and Claire an anniversary gift featuring their original wedding vows, tensions rise as they attempt to take their vows literally. (CBS)
- Young Sheldon (repeat) Sheldon keeps tabs on Meemaw's budding relationship with Dr. Sturgis. (CBS)
- The Neighborhood (repeat) Dave is embraced by the patrons of the community barbershop, much to Calvin's dismay. (CBS)
- Bull (repeat) Bull helps a therapist friend when he is sued for malpractice following a patient's deadly rampage. (CBS)
- America's Got Talent Comics, singers, mentalists, a contortionist and more champions from around the world compete. (NBC)
- Manifest Michaela's callings rise to a whole new level when they are accompanied by hallucinations. (NBC)
- The Resident (repeat) Devon prepares for his wedding day and asks questions about his relationship like never before. (FOX)
- 9-1-1 (repeat) Buck jumps back into the dating scene but fears he will return to his old ways. (FOX)
- The Flash (repeat) When Barry Allen and Oliver Queen wake up one morning and realize they have swapped bodies with each other. (CW)
- Arrow (repeat) With Oliver and Barry still stuck in the other’s bodies, the two get a lead on John Deegan and head to Gotham City with Supergirl to figure out why their reality has changed. (CW)
All listings are subject to change.
And... now you are good to go. At least for now. Let's go get our Monday on...